The Kyle of Sutherland Heritage Society is based in the Old Church of Kincardine situated on the A836 going through the village of Ardgay in the County of Sutherland.
The Kincardine Stone, a Pictish Gravemarker detailed on our logo above, is housed inside the Church.
Please Contact KoSHS if you would like to arrange a viewing.
The “Old Church” (now the Heritage Centre)
The church of Kincardine was dedicated to St. Columba. It was part of the Chapter of Fortrose Cathedral. It is ﬁrst mentioned in 1227.
In 1778 Admiral Sir John Ross, of Balnagown, Bart., gifted a bell captured from a French Man of War to the parish.
Up to the late 1790s the building was thatched with heather. According to local folklore, a ﬂock of starlings nesting in the thatch disrupted the service and the Beadle, in an attempt to scare off the birds, discharged a musket into the roof. It appeared to have the desired effect but unfortunately it also set the roof on ﬁre, destroying the building and the parish records which were kept there. Mr Gallie (the minister) rebuilt the church on the same site. His initials and the date 1799 are carved above the lintel of the main door.
The Building was the centre of Church of Scotland Parish Worship until 1947 when the Union of the Parish Churches of Kincardine and Croick with the United Free Church of Kincardine and worship was transferred (along with the Bell) to Kincardine West Church (formally the United Free Church) in Ardgay.
In 1993 the Kyle of Sutherland Heritage Society acquired the “B” listed building from the General Trustees of the Church of Scotland and with the assistance of Sutherland District Council converted it into a Heritage Centre.
KINCARDINE, a parish, in the county of Ross and Cromarty, 14 miles (W. N. W.) from Tain; containing 2108 inhabitants, of whom 316 are in that part of the parish which formed the late quoad sacra parish of Croich. Read more
CROICH, or Croick, lately a quoad sacra parish, forming part of the parish of Kincardine, county of Ross and Cromarty, 9 miles (W.) from Kincardine; containing 316 inhabitants. Read more
EDDERTON, a parish, in the Mainland district, county of Ross and Cromarty, 5 miles (S. W.) from Tain, containing 975 inhabitants. Read more
CRIECH, a parish, in the county of Sutherland, 11½ miles (W. N. W.) from Tain; containing, with the village of Bonar, 2582 inhabitants. Read more
Go to Rosehall
Copyright Ⓒ 2018 Kyle of Sutherland Heritage Society